Tuesday, September 2, 2014

New Year, New Role, New School(s)

Began the new year of teaching, 2014.  This will be my 8th year.  What's different about this year is no longer am I going to be at Murry Bergtraum High School.  Instead, I will be an ATR, which stands for Absent Teacher Reserve.  I am holding out hope that this is temporary, though I have heard horror stories, I have also heard success stories.  Considering that I don't want to teach at Murry Bergtraum High School, I'd just rather try this ATR thing out.  Trust me, that school is that bad!

I was sent to Thurgood Marshall Academy, which is up in Harlem, in the Bronx.  They greeted me like I was one of their own, everyone was smiling!  And happy.  I don't think this was an act, it seemed rather genuine.  They had a nice spread for breakfast and the staff meeting was pretty short.  The principal, who seemed to be an energetic young-ish man talked about their success and what they want to improve on.  Then did some introductions and then that was it!  No boring presentation lead by suits from the DOE.  No lecture by the principal about how this is "your" problem and not "our" problem.  I can believe it when they talk of those who stay late.  I get the feeling this is the kind of place people "choose" to stay late at.

They didn't have much for me to do, so that was kind of a bummer.  Everyone was nice though, setting up their classrooms, I offered help here and there.  I mostly spent time talking with one of the AP's who is in his last year and seems like a nice, fair guy.  He was gracious enough to offer talking to some of his principal friends to see if they have any openings.  I figure, yeah, sounds like a good idea.

Of course, it's Day One.  Then there is Day Two, then Day Three is the REAL Day One.  Still, I am excited to help where I can and hopefully get a position somewhere soon.  Which, btw, if anyone is reading this and knows a school looking for an excellent Social Studies teacher, I would appreciate any guidance :)

No comments:

Post a Comment